Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Indoors through the Garden Door

The other part of my gardening project is starting a wee indoor garden. What I will show you today is only the start. The beginning of this project is also a practice in repurposing as well. As a photo speaks a thousand words, let's look at the first photo.


For the seed pots, I am using cut bath tissue rolls. The dirt inside, what was in the back of our site. Containers that all this went into, are as follows:
  • tofu container
  • mushroom container
  • container from frozen food
They are all waterproof and in great condition. Plenty of use in these guys. All this is sitting on our cookie sheet which, which, I should be able to be use... um... later.

I have planted jelly bean tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes and sweet corn. They have thus far, had no fertilizer, just water once a day and sitting on a cozy little table by a space heater.

Initially I thought soaking the seeds would be a good idea, since the seeds I was starting with were a year old at least. The next morning, I awoke to the tomato seeds almost completely disinegrated. The corn was ok, but I needed new tomato seeds, since I used the whole of my seed packets in this experiement. Well, now we know that.

Now it has been about four days. Just yesterday, a chance glance on my little tray of hopefulness, I noticed sprouts that were not there for their morning watering...at least I didn't see them. We have new babies!!! I'm so excited!! They are now spending their days outside on our picnic table, taking in their first rays of sunshine.


I'm very excited. $2.00 funded this season's crop of two kinds of tomatoes, and a crop of sweet corn. Very DPS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment