Monday, December 12, 2011

Three Things off my Shopping List

In this season of "shop 'til you drop", I have challenged myself to see what I got before I shop!

Lately my first step in buying basic needs for the house, I look closer and see what I already have. I was surprised, and somewhat ashamed at how much I had been wasting until now.

Let's take three examples:

What I need: Storage containers, and hand soap.

What I have: Sour cream, coffee creamer, dish soap and body wash.

What I did: Using up the little bit of sour cream I had in the fridge gave me a food storage container, once I washed it of course. Because it's not see through, I label and date the container each time with freezer tape and a marker each time it is used.

I used up my little bottle of coffee creamer, and realized with glee, that it could be re-purposed into, really, any type of use I needed...albeit storing small objects like spare nuts or screws, twist ties that have been saved for future use... anything small enough that you can still get it out of the bottle when you need it. My preferred use is for food storage, saving leftover vinaigrette, or even making dressing or marinade in the the container. The screw cap lid makes these bottles work great for juice drinks or flavored waters on the go, as well.

The hand soap I needed, came by way of a partnership of two other products already on hand. First, we just finished a bottle of dish soap, so hubbie washed it out and I tried to take off the label... just cuz, I guess....really not necessary. This bottle got filled with some body wash that we had just gotten about a week before that was family size (better price for that size). Voila! We have hand soap. For kicks, I stuck a sprig of fresh rosemary into the bottle thinking it looked pretty, but just found out that rosemary essential oil, among a serious number of other uses, can also soften skin. So, maybe a little rosemary goodness will be added to our new hand soap as well!

These are the latest re-purposing projects I've done. There are many more to come, so check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment